About this collection
The University Circle United Methodist Church, formerly known as Epworth-Euclid United Methodist Church, is descended from the earliest Methodist societies in Cleveland, Ohio, having been formed in 1919 from 2 historic congregations: Euclid Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church and Epworth Memorial Church. For over 60 years the congregation has occupied a landmark building in Cleveland's University Circle neighborhood, nicknamed the "Holy Oil Can" because of its tall copper spire. The Euclid Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church began with Methodist classes at Doan's Corners in 1831. A church building, known as Doan Street Methodist Episcopal Church, was constructed in 1837 on Doan (East 105th) Street. A second building was built in 1870 and razed in 1885. In 1887 a new building went up on Euclid Avenue at Oakdale (East 93rd), and the church became known as Euclid Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1919-1920, the Euclid Avenue and Epworth Memorial congregations merged, creating the Epworth-Euclid Methodist Church at East 107th Street and Chester Avenue. In 2010, First United Methodist Church and Epworth-Euclid United Methodist Church merged to become University Circle United Methodist Church. The collection consists of approximately 7490 prints (a mixture of both color and black and white), 53 35mm slides, 104 glass slides, 73 negatives, and 315 35mm negative strips. It also contains 40 CD/DVDs, five cassette tapes, three 3.5 inch floppy discs, six audio wire reels, one digital video cassette master, ten VHS tapes, three audio reels, and two film reels.