The Warner and Swasey Company was a leading manufacturer of machine tools, especially turret lathes, and telescopes and optical equipment. By 1928, the company was the world's leading manufacturer of turret lathes, and during World War II produced half of all the turret lathes made in the United States. The company was founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1881 by Worcester R. Warner, who had a passionate interest in astronomy, and Ambrose Swasey. The company was bought by the Bendix Corporation of Michigan in 1980, which was taken over by Allied in 1983, which, in turn, sold it to Cross and Trecker in 1984. The collection consists of portraits of Ambrose Swasey, Worchester Reed Warner, the Warner and Swasey Company, its personnel, plants, and products. Products depicted include telescopes, scientific instruments, textile machines, and machine tools. Also included are views of the residences and personal observatory of Ambrose Swasey and Worchester Reed Warner. The collection was originally compiled as a reference source for use by company personnel and for publicity purposes. Included in this collection is written descriptive material that corresponds to the photographs.