The Detroit-Superior High-Level Bridge opened to traffic on Thanksgiving Day 1917 and was the city's first high-level bridge over the Cuyahoga River. Connecting Detroit and Superior avenues, it was engineered to relieve the traffic congestion that had clogged the old Superior Viaduct, just north of the new span. Built at a cost of $5.284 million, the bridge took 5 years to complete. The bridge was designed by Cuyahoga County engineers Frank R. Lander, Alfred M. Felgate, William A. Stinchcomb, and Albert W. Zesiger. The principal contractor for the construction was the King Iron Bridge Manufacturing Company. The bridge was renamed Veterans Memorial in Veterans Day ceremonies on 11 Nov. 1989. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
This digital collection includes contemporary and more recent images of the bridge, as well as material related to the planning and construction of the span, The images featured in the collection were assembled to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Detroit Superior High Level Bridge.